Do you want to be able to drive a car, and go anywhere in the world? In order to get this type of freedom, you’re going to have to go through a driver’s test first. For most people, it isn’t easy. You don’t have to be most people though. You can be one of the 50% or so of examinees who pass on the first try.
Already taken it and failed? Don’t worry – you can get a second chance… and third… and fourth… the great thing about the driving exam is that you can keep starting over again until you finally pass. If you are worried about feeling embarrassed in front of your friends and family, just don’t tell go around telling them that you plan on taking it. Nobody other than your parents and driving teacher have to know. If you’re an adult yourself, nobody other than you and the person who is helping you practice need to know.
As long as you know how to drive safely and avoid making mistakes, you should be able to pass.
Here are some mistakes that you must avoid making if you want to get your license.
- Going well over the speed limit.
- Going too slow even though the road conditions and weather are fine.
- Failing to check your blindspot and mirrors regularly.
- Bumping into something, be it another vehicle, curb, bicycle, etc.
- Not being able to demonstrate good, firm (yet smooth) steering control.
- Not being observant enough while driving.
- Not being observant enough when attempting to park, or pull out of a parking space.
- Failing to actually STOP at a STOP sign – don’t just roll past it.
- Being confused at when and where to turn, and hesitating for too long when it is your turn to go.
- Pressing down on the brakes too hard. You’re supposed to brake smoothly, unless something happens and you have to come to a sudden halt. Even then, you should still be careful.
You don’t want to simply become a good enough driver to pass the test; that isn’t enough. You should strive to become a defensive driver who always knows what to do in order to ensure the safety of yourself, your passengers, and other vehicles on the road.
The only way you’re going to become a safe driver is to learn everything you can and practice. Get out there and learn how to drive as safely as possible. Remember: don’t tell anyone when you plan on taking the test if you are afraid of being embarrassed. It will help you to feel less stressful.