When riders start out in the racing industry, they are often on their own and they are just competing for themselves. They don’t have any help with their bike, or their training program. They are just in it for the love of racing.
However, once they start winning, they start practicing more and then start winning more and then they think that they could make riding into a career. They also start getting noticed by other riders and start making friends in the industry.
This is the time when they start thinking about joining teams and making some extra money from their races. This is not through winning, but it is through sales and exposure. Many different teams will approach good riders, but there are things that they should be looking for in teams. They should do their research before they join teams and they shouldn’t just jump at the chance to join the first team that asks them.
Getting yourself noticed in the racing industry is a massive achievement and excitement could cause you to make some rash decisions. When you start getting noticed is when you should start to think like a business owner, instead of a biker who rides for fun. You don’t have to make a business decision that could affect you for the rest of your life.
If this sounds like you, you should read ahead for some tips on how to make good decisions when you are joining teams.
1. Support – First and foremost, before money is even mentioned, they should be offering you support in the industry. They should be putting you in touch with the right people and if you have a bad race, they should be helping you get through it.
2. Team Spirit – There should be team spirit in the team so that you get a sense of belonging. You don’t want to feel like you are only in the team because you sell their items. You should have races with other team members and you should all support each other. They should also have some team building events so that you can all get to know each other and become friends, not just competitors.
3. Discount Code – You should join a team that gives you a discount code so that you will get a discount on any items that you may need for the racing. This could range from anywhere between 10 to 30% off the items, but the more that you can get the better, racing is a very competitive and expensive profession to have, so you will need all the help that you can give.
4. Affiliate – You will want to be an affiliate so that you can make money off items that you sell. For example, if you on a team that sells stickers, you should make money off all the stickers that you sell. If you become popular, you won’t even have to cold sell the sticker, you can just give your code out and your fans will buy them. You could end up making a lot of money.
5. Account – You will want any commissions paid into your account with them because you might just want to spend the money that you have made on more items for yourself. You might not want the money to be sent to your bank account, but make sure the option is there if you want it.
You don’t have to join a team if you don’t want to. You could still have a long career on your own, but it is better to make a bit of money and have the support of a team in such a competitive industry.